The University of New South Wales

go to UNSW home page

Handbook Home

Faculty Rules

For Undergraduate Students

Standard Enrolment

In their first year of study, full-time students will normally complete 48 units of credit. In subsequent semesters, they will normally complete 24 units, but may be permitted to enrol in an additional 6 units of credit.

Cross-Institutional Study

Students may take cross-institutional courses only in the circumstance that a comparable course is not offered in the Faculty. Students must have completed at least 48 units of credit in courses (with the exception of languages) offered by the Faculty before undertaking cross-institutional study. Cross-institutional courses can only be taken as electives, however, students may seek approval from the Faculty to have up to 12 uoc of cross-institutional courses count towards their major or minor. Students are only permitted to take a maximum of 12 uoc cross-institutional study at each level.

Students may take a cross-institutional stream in a language not offered at UNSW. Students are only permitted to take a maximum of 12 uoc in Level 1 cross-institutional language courses.

Advanced Standing

Students admitted with advanced standing are given credit towards the degree for all appropriate courses up to a maximum of two thirds of the total units of credit required for each degree.

Advanced standing will not be granted for courses completed more than 10 years previously. Students seeking advanced standing for courses completed elsewhere must submit documentary evidence and specify the courses they wish to complete within the Faculty. Faculty will then determine the number of units of credit to be granted.

From 2009 a student who has been granted advanced standing for courses in their major or minor sequence is required to complete the following at UNSW:

Major sequence - 18 units of credit, including the capstone course, if applicable
Minor sequence - 12 units of credit


The Faculty will grant the maximum credit possible to facilitate a student's transfer from one degree to another. The credit will vary depending on the degrees concerned.

A student enrolled in the combined Arts/Law program who does not wish to proceed to the combined degree BA LLB may apply to transfer to the BA degree with credit for Arts related courses and General Education courses.

Admission to Honours

Students who have been awarded a degree at Pass level from the University of New South Wales or a comparable degree from another university may be admitted by Faculty to candidature for the award of that degree at Honours level with credit for all courses completed if, during their studies for the Pass degree, they have satisfied the prerequisites for entry to the Honours level program or completed an equivalent program of study.

Undergraduate Information

URL for this page:

© The University of New South Wales (CRICOS Provider No.: 00098G), 2004-2011. The information contained in this Handbook is indicative only. While every effort is made to keep this information up-to-date, the University reserves the right to discontinue or vary arrangements, programs and courses at any time without notice and at its discretion. While the University will try to avoid or minimise any inconvenience, changes may also be made to programs, courses and staff after enrolment. The University may also set limits on the number of students in a course.